Summary of Event: There will be 2 parts to the competition, the ‘Skill’ tests and the ‘Leap of Faith Bonus’ test! Points from both parts will then be added together to make your final score, from which all teams will be ranked.
Event Schedule: The event will run from 5pm to 9.30pm. Due to the nature of the event, teams will be allocated time slots to undertake their climbs. Group 1 Teams should arrive at the centre at no later than 5pm and Group 2 Teams should arrive no later than 6.15pm.
Part1: ‘Skill’ tests Climbers will be challenged to tackle each of the 3 challenges on the climbs listed. Points are allocated to the challenges according to their perceived difficulty level:
- Easy = 10pts
- Medium = 15pts
- Difficult = 20pts*. See separate scoring below
Climbers will be given 5 minutes to complete each climb, your climb starts as soon as the whistle blows and will end when you complete the climb or the final whistle blows. You can attempt the climbs as many times as you like within the allocated 5 minutes. Your highest scoring attempt will be recorded as your final score.
To ensure easy flow of teams between climbs four teams will compete in the arena at any one time. Each team member will tackle a climb and once all team members have completed their first climb (making a total of five climbs completed for the team) their scores will be recorded and they will move onto the next four climbs and so on until each climber has completed five climbs in total – at which point the team will have completed all 25 climbs in the event plus the Leap of Faith.
If any climb remains uncompleted within the 5 minutes then the team will score 0 points for that climb.
*Stairway to Heaven (Set 2): The participant will score 2 pts for each pole that they successfully manage to balance on. They must stand on the finishing pole for 5 seconds before descending to score the points.
Timings: Climbing will start and finish on the whistle.
Scoring: The judge’s decision is final.
Part 2 – Leap of Faith (LOF) Bonus
Each team will be provided with a ticket for the Leap of Faith trapeze. They should select one team member to take this challenge and earn extra bonus points for their team.
- The Leap of Faith Trapeze can be moved to varying distances from the jump ledge – 1 being the closest (and easiest) and 10 being the furthest (and hardest).
- Climbers can request the trapeze be set at any number they wish – based upon their judgement of how far they can jump and catch the trapeze!
- A successful attempt will be scored and the points scored will directly correspond to the level between the numbers of 1-6
- Participants score double the level number if successfully catching the trapeze between 7-9 i.e. level 5 = 10 pts
- Participants score triple points if successfully reach Level 10
- You only have ONE attempt so think carefully about your strategy!
Only successful catches of the trapeze handle will qualify for bonus points, if the trapeze handle is missed the team will score 0 points for their jump.
The LOF ticket can be used at any time after team registration, except during the teams own Part 1 skill time.
In the unlikely event of two teams having the same overall score the overall winners will be settled by their time on the speed climb.